A. GENERAL STUDIO RULES:
1. All studio use must be for the purpose of producing a finished program for the QPTV community access channels.
2. Producing pieces, segments, or other units requiring later post-production should be reflected in the QPTV User's Program Planning Outline (Form #5) and approved in writing by the Director or Manager of Access Producers Services in advance. It is expected that a finished program will come out of each studio reservation.
3. The studio is to be used as is. Use of additional technical components or arrangements requiring rewiring or reconfiguration of equipment must be cleared in advance in writing with QPTV staff. TECHNICAL UNAPPROVED RECONFIGURATION IS CAUSE FOR IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION OF QPTV PRIVILEGES, FOR A PERIOD OF SIX (6)MONTHS; THIS INCLUDES ANY ADJUSTMENT OR REPOSITION OF STUDIO LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.
4. All equipment, including console, monitors, pedestals, cameras, videotape machines, audio equipment and accessories are to remain in the studio. At no time can any of this equipment be checked out for production in any place other than the studio.
5. Smoking, drinking and eating are prohibited in the studio and control room areas. Glasses of water for talent are permitted on the studio floor. At no time are food containers, drink containers and general rubbish to be left in the studio area.
6. Broken or malfunctioning equipment or systems are to be reported to QPTV staff immediately.
7. Studio groups (talent/audience participants) are limited to twenty-five (25) people. (Exclusive of crew.)
8. Crew and talent cannot arrive earlier than the scheduled beginning of the reservation time. QPTV does not have space to accommodate early arrivals, rehearsals, etc. except in cases where a special request has been made to QPTV.
9. QPTV will assign a staff member to work with the lead QPTV Certified Community User, and to serve as Studio Attendant for the production.
10. QPTV staff and interns will not serve as crew for a production. It is mandatory that the QPTV User make all arrangements in providing the entire crew. The crew will consist of QPTV certified individuals and persons currently enrolled in studio production training. Fifty percent (50%) of the crew must have valid QPTV studio certification.
11. If less than the required five (5) crew members report for the production, or if less than three (3) QPTV Users are present, the session will be cancelled. An “Express” Studio format will be available as an option if less than the required number of crew shows up.
12. The QPTV User who made the studio reservation is responsible for the conduct of crew and talent involved in their production, and for the orderly and safe operation of studio equipment and use of QPTV facilities, including the kitchen. The kitchen must be cleaned immediately after food has been served. If the crew has food prior to the shoot, the kitchen must be cleaned before returning to the
13. Indecent Exposure is strictly prohibited on the premises of QPTV including editing suites, administrative offices, and all other areas that are used in common with Time Warner Cable and other tenants of 41-61 Kissena Boulevard. Queens Public Communications Corporation is not to be considered a censor of any program material, however, QPTV is obligated to insure that all local, State and Federal laws are respected regarding programs taped in our studios or shown on the access channels.
14. All additional equipment, props and accessories needed in a studio shoot not already in the studio, is the responsibility of the QPTV Certified Community Access Producer and is not to be simply appropriated because of their proximity to the studio. NO FURNITURE IS TO BE TAKEN FROM THE OFFICE AREA FOR A STUDIO PRODUCTION.
15. Production is to be done, as much as possible in real time, as a "live" production, starting at the beginning and running (non-stop) through (a minimum running time of 28:00 or 58:00 minutes and a maximum running time of 28:30 or 58:30 minutes) to the end without a break if possible. NO EDITING, except minimal "cleanup" is permitted after a studio production, unless authorized.
16. In transferring the studio from one QPTV User to the next, the following must be observed:
a. All sets and properties must be struck, removed or stored.
b. All camera cables should be neatly coiled.
c. Cameras should be put away by the QPTV staff person:
1. Be switched to color bar setting.
2. Lens caps be placed over front of lens.
3. All pedestal locks must be in the locked position.
d. All headsets should be stored on cameras. Floor manager's headset should be turned in to a QPTV staff member.
e. Lights can be refocused, and repositioned on the grid ONLY by a QPTV staff person. QPTV PRODUCERS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE LADDERS. The producer should seek the assistance of the staff and should insure (with staff) that instruments be returned to normal positions and turned off at the end of the production session. An ample amount of time should be designated for these changes (replace studio lights to original positions) at the end of a production. Detailed lighting requirements must be listed on the Program Planning Outline in advance.
f. Microphones should be replaced in their boxes and returned to the staff person.
g. All cabling (audio, power, and video) should be properly wrapped and returned to their proper place.
h. Chairs are to be stacked, and furniture is to be returned to proper places in or out of the studio.
i. Floor of studio is to be cleared of all material and debris.
j. All tapes are to be removed from machines and properly labeled. Videocassettes must be submitted to staff person or Studio Attendant on duty for processing.
k. Audio tapes, carts, etc. are to be removed from the machines and properly stored. All materials including tapes, music, props, graphics charts, etc. must be removed by the user. The area should be cleared of everything and made ready for the next user.
l. Headsets in the control room should be turned (volume) down and placed on the console above the production position.
m. Equipment turn-off must be done by QPTV staff member or a Studio Attendant only.
n. A status report upon completion of the production, will be made by the QPTV staff member in attendance regarding:
1. Operation of the facility during the production (technical, etc.).
2. Status of the studio after taping is completed.
3. Status of the recorded program (completed, edit time needed, etc).
o. QPTV is not responsible for any items left in the studios.
17. Within the plan of a studio program, it is permissible to utilize portable produced segments as roll-ins.
18. The limitations on the use of portable equipment with a studio shoot are as follows:
a. A maximum of 3 portable shoots.
b. A maximum of 3 editing sessions.
c. A maximum of one four (4) hour studio production block.
d. No post production after the studio shoot except as necessary for minimal clean-up (4 hours maximum) with prior permission of QPTV staff.
B. RESERVATION RULES:
1. Studio time will be booked on or after the first day of each month for the following month. During the current month studio time will be booked according to availability, on a first come first served basis.
2. Reservations can be made by phone, mail, Fax or in person.
3. A Studio Program Planning Outline (Form #5) outlining the details and plans for the reserved production must be on file for each studio project at least one week in advance of the production date. If a Program Planning Outline is not filed in sufficient time, the reservation will be released.
The Program Planning Outline shall specify the names of the crew involved, the program to be produced, details of the format, program segments involved, the staging, set and properties required, the lighting necessary, character generator material, anticipated time for setup, set preparation, production rehearsal time and any special provisions necessary.
4. The maximum time allowed for a studio production is four (4) hours. This includes setup, rehearsal, production, and all breaks, including food/dinner breaks and strike time. For evening productions, once the production is complete, it is required that the premises be vacated prior to closing. Time must be allowed at the end of the studio recording session to return the studio to its original configuration, i.e. props and any lighting equipment that has been moved prior to recording.
a. A QPTV User cannot use the studio longer than the scheduled four-hour block except in cases where a special request has been made in advance and approval in writing has been received.
b. A QPTV User must return the studio to normal" condition by the end of the reserved four-hour block of time.
5. The maximum number of reservations allowed to complete a single program for cablecast is one (1) unless otherwise approved in advance in writing.
6. A QPTV User, group or project is limited to one (1) reservation at a time. No additional reservations may be made until the existing reservation has been completed. No reservations will be accepted if the QPTV User has any incomplete programs.
7. Studio productions require a minimum crew of 5 people. At least 3 of the 5 Community Users must be studio certified by QPTV. The others must be qualified by being currently enrolled in QPTV’s studio training program, and/or must be working towards certification.
8. Each production, whether by a group, organization or individual, must have a single "lead Certified Community QPTV User" who takes the responsibility for the entire production including the reservation. This QPTV User must fill out all necessary letters of compliance, etc., act as the contact person and deal with QPTV in all phases of the production.
9. All cancellations must be made by the QPTV User who made the reservation at least 24 hours in advance so that personnel and crew members can be given adequate cancellation notice. Failure to do so will result in restrictions being placed on future reservations of the studio and will be treated as a minor violation. It is the responsibility of the QPTV User to contact the crew members to inform them of the cancellation.
10. Studio reservations are non-transferable.
XV. STUDIO USAGE:
A. GENERAL STUDIO RULES: